Local Offer

Local Offer for Students with Additional Needs

At The Short Stay School we are committed to supporting every student in overcoming their personal barriers to learning and enabling them to make the best progress possible.  We want all adults and children to participate in learning and we celebrate all members of our community.  We have an inclusive culture in our school and we aim to always be responsive to the diversity of children’s backgrounds, interests, experience, knowledge and skills.

Due to the nature of our school our students arrive with a history that often indicates that they have difficulty coping within a mainstream school setting. This MAY indicate that they have an underlying Special Educational Need.

The SEN Code of Practice defines SEND as:

“A child or young person has SEN if they have a learning difficulty or disability which calls for special educational provision to be made for them.  A child of compulsory school age or a young person has a learning difficulty or disability if they:

(a)   have a significantly greater difficulty in learning than the majority of others of the same age: or

(b)   have a disability which prevents or hinders them from making use of educational facilities of a kind generally provided for others of the same age in mainstream schools or mainstream post-16 institutions.”

Upon entry to the Short Stay School all pupils are assessed using a number of methods including standardised tests that relate directly to the four categories of need identified in the SEN Code of Practice. This information allows us to write accurate Individual Learning Plans for each of pupil. If a pupil is identified as having SEND we provide provision that is ‘additional to or different from’ the normal differentiated curriculum. This is intended to overcome the barrier to their learning.

Please read our SEND policy and local offer for further details.

Additional information regarding support available for pupils with Special Educational Needs and/ or Disabilities in Norfolk can be found on the Norfolk County Council website: